Sunday, January 17, 2010

My first 2 weeks as a software developer

Ever since I graduated, I've been learning a lot of things about building a career outside of school. The major lesson I learned is that you really are only as good as your network. So for all you students out there, I suggest gaining networking skills before you even graduate. There are plenty of organizations you can get involved in, networking events you can attend, as well as networking workshops you can learn from. Which reminds me, CU-WISE is panning a career event just for that purpose, so keep an eye out and make sure to attend!

After a couple of months of applying for jobs, networking, creating a website portfolio and going to career workshops, I got a job offer as a software developer. I started 2 weeks ago and enjoy it very much. What I noticed is that I really like "doing" as opposed to "researching". Specifically I like the fact that I am solving real problems for real clients with a team of very knowledgeable software developers. One thing that surprises me is that I wasn't once discouraged by the fact that I know little about software development. I think the reason is that all my coworkers are always happy to take the time to help me and to give me the time to learn what I need to know. So don't be afraid of venturing into something new and unusual because you will have the analytical skills and the resources to succeed in whatever you choose to do.

And of course I have to give CU-WISE a big thank you again for giving me all those skills that weren't taught in class. I miss you ladies!

3 comments:

Gail Carmichael said...

So glad you ended up with such an awesome team! :D

Unknown said...

Congratulations Barbora!

Samera

Serena Ngai said...

Congrats Barb! Glad to hear that you're enjoying it so far.