Monday, January 12, 2009

Domestic Abuse: What every woman should know


During Woman Abuse Prevention Month in November, Bailey Reid, the coordinator of the "Neighbours, Friends and Families" campaign, e-mailed CU-WISE offering to do a presentation for "our ladies", as she put it. The "Neighbours, Friends and Families" is a public education campaign to raise awareness of the signs of woman abuse. This e-mail caught my attention because I know how important it is to be aware of abuse, to know how to recognize it, and to learn what you can do about it. I know this because I founded the "Anti-Abuse" team at my high school, so I learned a lot from doing that.

So of course CU-WISE accepted Bailey's offer and she's presenting on Wednesday, Jan. 14th, 4:30-5:30pm in 5115 HP. Light refreshments will be served and admission is free. For more information about the talk, please visit our website's events page.

I'm going to leave you with 3 facts I found on the internet (shown below) and I hope all of you will come to the talk.

----------------
"A woman is in 9 times more danger in her home than on the streets" [www.domesticabuseaware.org]

"1 out of 4 women will experience domestic abuse in their lifetime"
[www.shalvaonline.org]

"70% of domestic abuse is non-physical"
[www.shalvaonline.org]
----------------

Website:
www.neighboursfriendsandfamilies.on.ca

0 comments: