Thursday, March 26, 2009

Today I looked around and I was surrounded by Adas.

You should know by now, on March 24th many bloggers around the world recognized Women in Technology they admire. I was not the exception. However, instead of posting in this blog, I preferred to post it on my blog, which which is in Spanish and I created 2 years ago and I forgot about it. The main reason behind this is that I looked at the map, and I only saw 18 posts in Spanish, and none of them from Mexico, my home country.

While you can use a translator service, I would like to share with you the story of women who inspired me. One of my first memories is singing the times tables while my grandmother walked me to kindergarten. She was one of the first female entrepreneurs in my home town Aguascalientes, an uncommon job for a housewife in Mexico 70 years ago. As a self-taught teacher, she also taught me to read and write when I was 3 years old. The next generation of women in my family also pursued uncommon careers: my oldest aunt was the first women graduating from Engineering in Aguascalientes, and later on, my mom, was one of the first graduated women from Electronics Engineering, in the Mexican National Polytechnic Institute.
I knew from my family experience that being a female engineer was not popular and they encouraged me as they encouraged many students for 30 years, specially women to pursue higher education and achieve success in engineering without barriers, perceived or otherwise. Does does sound familiar? My post was dedicated to them and all those women who will never be recognized with a novel price, but have touched our lives.

I was very lucky to be surrounded by Adas during my childhood and also today, in one of CU-WISE talks entitled "It's not women that need fixing" I feel lucky and proud of being a Women in Science and Engineering.

0 comments: