Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Final Reflections of the Grace Hopper Conference

As I wrote on my own blog, the last couple of days in Colorado were truly amazing. I spoke to several wonderful women who were able to give me some great advice and ideas, and got to go hiking with some awesome Google girls. This conference was the most fun, useful, inspiring, and enlightening I have heard of or been to yet.

Here are some of the great things I learned or experiences I gained while at this conference:
  • New ideas for outreach activities that I can do through CU-WISE and the Let's Talk Science program.
  • I really do want to be an instructor and teach.
  • I should definitely do an internship that is not close to home, even though I'm actually pretty scared of leaving my house and husband!
  • CU-WISE might eventually be capable of running a local celebration of women in computing if we work with several other groups.
  • The girls from Google are great hikers and great company.
  • Hemp and bamboo shirts and soft and comfy (thanks Microsoft!).
  • Women's conferences actually give away shirts made for women. Finally, swag I don't have to give to my husband!
  • Inspiration can come from the most unexpected places.
  • Volunteering is the best way to meet new people.
  • Dancing with all women is a lot of fun (especially since most guys hate dancing anyway)!
  • The Macarena is usually cheesy, but looks cool when a whole room of people are lined up to do it.
I'm sure there's much more than that, too! I hope you will all make an effort to attend this conference before you graduate (or even after you do!). Hope to see you next year in Tucson, Arizona!

0 comments: